Creamy Vegan Tomato Basil Soup
3 lbs. tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups chopped any of the following: carrots, squash, sweet potato, or zuchini, etc.
⅓ cup olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cups broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup basil pesto
- Cut tomatoes in half and place in a baking dish skin side down with peeled whole garlic cloves and carrots (or other veggies).
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then roast at 375 degrees F for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- I don’t pel the skins off when roasting the tomatoes.
- Blend roasted veggies with either in a blender with a little broth or in a large pot with an emersion blender
- If you used a blender, transfer to a large pot and add the rest of the broth.
- Heat soup on the stove until warmed through.
- Add the balsamic vinegar red pepper flakes and pesto.
Alternatively, I’ve frozen tomatoes whole without prepping them. Then when I’m ready to make soup, I let them sit on the counter until 60% defrosted. The skins will peel off very easily if you prefer to peel them. Then you can just heat them on the stove in a pot, add broth and other veggies, then blend. Of course, the most flavorful soup will come from fresh roasted tomatoes, but in an effort to reduce food waste and simplify, there’s this option too.
1 loaf of second day or stale bread (french bread is the best but use what you have)
- Cut or tear bread into bite-sized pieces
- place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil, about 3 tablespoons.
- Toss while drizzling to evenly coat
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and herbs and toss again.
- Spread onto a baking sheet or stone in a single layer and bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown. About 45 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
Vegan Ceasar Salad
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked overnight
3 tablespoons capers
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup filtered water
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
- Blend everything until smooth
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 1 week
Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
3/4 cup sunflowers seeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (click here for my favorite brand)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pulse in blender until crumbly
- Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 months
- Chopp salad greens and toss with a few tablespoons of dressing in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and top with homemade croutons.